Thursday, May 14, 2009

Pop Up Cake Die


This pop up cake die will be available in the upcoming SU catalog. I had a chance to preorder it and couldn't resist since there are endless possibilties for this little must have. (Thanks, Julie!)
I used Real Red cardstock for the body and added some Whisper White that I edged with the scallop edge punch, the head was a 1 3/4" circle in Blush Blossom, nose and eyes from a standard hole punch, beard three flower punch, hat is scallop square and oval combined. Black 3/8" grosgrain ribbon with Silver Hodgepodge Hardware ribbon slide.Gold brads used for buttons.
My one little tip that I learned while assembling this is to not fold it closed until you are all done. Mine kept wanting to collapse inward before I had the strips adhered properly because I scored it and folded it closed and made it lay flat before completing the whole project. I'm happy with this, my first attempt, but know my following ones will be better and neater. Practice, practice...

10 comments:

Anne Harada said...

Oh my gosh! How creative and talented you are Joanne!! Never looked at that die any other way except for a layered cake!! Brilliant!!

Becky said...

WoW!!! This is so creative...

JulieA said...

I just love this!!! You are clever, clever, clever! I just love this little Santa and who cares what month it is! I'm glad you didn't hold out on us...it would have been a shame!

Sara said...

OMG, this is too stinkin cute. You always do the coolest things.

Jaspere said...

Wow!! Incredible. It looks like something someone would post for an inspiration challenge. Love it!!!

JazzyH said...

That is great!

Anonymous said...

Great job on Santa! I used this die for the first time last week and it was surprisingly easy to put together. I love all the creative ideas people are doing with it.

Unknown said...

WOW! I cannot believe all the things I'm seeing done with this die! This is fabulous!

Joan Ervin said...

This is sooo adorable, Joanne, and sooo clever...love the layered cake and that super cute Santa!!! Anytime is the perfect time to make Christmas goodies!!!

Angela said...

How creative and cool... what a great christmas decoration...